It’s one of those days. I’ve finished a project, and I hate it. I’m pretty sure it’s the first time that’s happened to me, so I guess I should be grateful. But it’s really annoying!
I spent a lot of money on this yarn (a well-known German brand), and I love its pretty colours, the single-spun spin and its soft squishiness. But the project! Aaargh! I’m not quite sure what’s going on. I don’t think I’ve lost much weight – but why is everything suddenly looking very large on me?
Main problem – the neckline, (which others on Ravelry have noted is difficult), the waist shaping – seems it’s designed for one slightly more “bootylicious” than I, and the general largish sizing causing the rolled hem to flare and balloon out in a very unattractive manner.
T-shirt shaping is generally not very flattering on any body shape other than the Stick, and it is best to wear t-shirts a bit more fitted than you’d normally wear to avoid looking like a large, lumpy potato sack. So did I follow my own advice? No…!
The yarn was a perfect fit for that pattern I’d been eyeing, and against all normal wisdom, I decided to knit it up, and in my ‘usual’ size. So I have no one to blame but me, do I? It’s karmic vengeance for using a non-New Zealand yarn I think!
What would I do differently? I think if I could be bothered (and I can’t, because this yarn is grippy, and it was a pain just tinking back a few rows, so I’m not going to contemplate frogging a whole jumper), I would reknit it at the smallest size for width, but make it longer to avoid the ‘too short’ syndrome. And I might not make the waist shaping so drastic.
It’s such a deceptively simple pattern (T-shirt sweater by Ella Rae) that I didn’t think I needed to carefully calculate how the pullover was going to shape up on me, or think too hard as I was knitting it. See what happens when you let your guard down! Normally, I do make a quick calculation before I start a project that at least indicates how wide the finished jumper will be based on my tension. I don’t know why I didn’t do this here.
I have just bought a copy of “Knitting Without Tears” by Elizabeth Zimmerman, which I’m really enjoying reading. This book should be on the ‘required reading’ list of any serious knitter. Anyway, in it, EZ recommended a method to make your shoulder shaping smoother by knitting the first two stitches of each cast-off row together before continuing as usual. If I had known this when I was doing the neckline shaping, I would have done that at the “u” of the neck because at the moment, it’s very harsh – more like a square neck shaping rather than a gentle curve. I suspect it’s got to do with the weight of the yarn.
The other problem I had was with finishing the neck. I think the main issue is that I ran out of yarn… so didn’t have enough to knit a row around the neck to finish it off. I had a nice ball of pale blue that toned in very prettily with the yarn, so decided to use that to finish the neck. Well, the cast-off edges were very uncooperative and stuck out over the bind-off edge, looking ghastly. So then I decided to try a roll neck. But because my finishing on the neckline wasn’t perfect, the area where the pale blue joined the original yarn looked definitely homemade even though the general effect was quite nice. Grrr! Next thought was to blanket stitch the neckline, and this is what I’ve decided will do. It disguises the not-so-perfect neckline shaping, and manages to make it look neat at the same time. I have mirrored it at the sleeves, and it seems to work. It’s a bit more rustic looking than I’d like, but I think I can live with this.
I’m still not sure I’ll wear this jumper in public. It’s a bit… baggy.