I’m rather thinking this hat might be a FAIL from a design point of view. Sorry kb!
Maybe it’s just because I’m not feeling too hot today. I have a headache. It’s also a bit warm to be wearing very cosy hats.
When I first thought up this hat, I wanted something pretty, playful and windproof. Something that reminded me of this flower:
I’ve always wanted a hat shaped like a flower for some reason…
And something that stays in place on freezing winter mornings when I walk Eric down to the school bus and a Southerly gale is blasting down the valley at 100km/h, knocking our hats and eyelashes off.
I think it will certainly fulfil all that criteria.
It’s very fitted. It’s very chunky. And the tension is very chunky too – to make it windproof (heavy enough not to be blown off and not let the wind through). I used 5mm needles for a yarn that is normally knitted on 7mm needles. I think I’ll wait until winter before passing final judgment though. The original hat in red I’ve shown you before is better, but the yarn is different – very slightly finer, and you can’t get that yarn on the market – it’s a one-off. To give you the pattern, I need to use a yarn that is readily available.
In the meantime, I think I’ll sit on the pattern and tinker a bit more. I think I’d like slightly more frill at the brim (like the original) and more point at the crown (a new thought). I’m not quite happy with it yet.
On the subject of hats, I’ll spend tomorrow writing tags for my 20+ hats (and toys, of which there are not so many) and organising myself. Sunday is the day!
After which, I have a host of posts planned, on subjects nothing to do with hats (do I hear a sigh of relief?) 😉 I thought I’d talk a bit about the community cause I’m contributing to from the proceeds of my stall, as well as continue my review of possum yarns. There’s also an update on New Zealand wool industry happenings. And of course, a few more hat patterns.
On a completely different subject, I did some dyeing for the first time today. I’ve been reading The New Zealand Woolcraft Book by Constance Jackson and Judith Plowman and got totally inspired. So yesterday, I gathered two separate kinds of lichens that grow around the garden, and brewed them up… and this morning, I added the yarn.
It’s gorgeous, and looks absolutely stunning against my purple sweaters that are hanging up to dry with it (that is a navy colour you see in the background in case you are wondering). One colour is almost orange, and the other is a beautiful pale greeny yellow/brown. The yarn is a New Zealand eco merino from Woolrae Studios, which I’ve mentioned before in a previous post. I had about 40g left over from one of the hat projects, so decided to have fun with experimentation.
I know it’s a bit naughty to use lichens given they’re so rare these days. But they were growing all over the letterbox, so I’m hoping that’s a good-enough excuse. You don’t need to mordant the wool beforehand to dye with lichens, so it’s chemical-free and eco-friendly. I’m not sure how colourfast it will be – I guess time will tell! It will be a lovely addition to a colourwork hat at some point. Just can’t get those hats off the brain!