Well, I’ve nearly done it…. The sleeves and minus 5cm of the hood. All that is left to be done this week is finish that never-ending seed stitch, sew in the lace ribbon facing for the button band, weave in the ends, and block this gorgeous baby.
Then Sally and I will get together for a meet-up and photo shoot next weekend, and we’ll do the big reveal!
I am afraid that I allowed myself to get distracted with more activity on the Sustain the Sea front this week, hence the lack of significant progress on the Shepherd Hoodie.
In terms of knitting tips, I have an observation about the hood increasing.
When I got to the hood increases, I found the instructions of “M1, work 1, sm, work 1, M1” slightly confusing.
What I’m trying to say here is: with seed stitch, the order is: one knit and the next stitch is a purl. If you increase between the knit and the purl, you will either get K, K, P or K, P, P. This means that you will find it impossible to keep the sequence of alternating knits and purls. So I got a wee bit confused by the wording because in my head, as the order then looked like this:
p, [p], k, (sm), p, [k], k – (the stitches in square brackets being the m1). The order got all messed up whichever way I did it?
In order to prevent this, I did the following instead:
K, [P] (sm), [K], P. The stitches in the square brackets are the new stitches. Can you see how the original K and P have their pattern maintained? I switched the order, so that the instructions read “work 1, M1, sm, M1, work 1”.
The next row with an increase the went something like this:
K, P, K, [P], (sm), [K], P, K, P
By keeping the two increases immediately next to each other, I was able to maintain the seed stitch patterning throughout the increasing.
I’m not sure if the original instructions are a typo, or whether I am unaware of some secret other way of being able to increase in seed stitch, but this is what worked for me. 🙂
The final note for this week is that I underestimated how much yarn I did need, and have ended up going into a fifth hank of yarn. This is consistent with the quantities noted on the pattern though. I figure I’ll have used 850g or thereabouts by the time it’s done.
Overall, this has been a great pattern to knit. I am sorry I have to wait until next winter before I can wear it as it’s far too warm now in this part of the world. However, when I do, it will be a very snug, and much worn item of clothing!
Due to the natural colour of this beautiful wool from Anna Gratton‘s Corriedales, it will go with everything in my wardrobe. I’ll be able to wear it everywhere, from the casual tramp along the beach, at the farmers’ market, and even as a work coat.
Hop on over to Sally’s post to see what she has to say about her week with the hoodie.