Kiwiyarns Knits

A blog about New Zealand yarns, knitting and life

Bo and Paua

7 Comments

There’s nothing like a surf in my favourite Ravelry sock forums to help dispel a case of the ‘back to work’ melancholies.  Knitters are such a happy bunch, and the enthusiasm displayed is very infectious!  Within minutes, I was happily humming to myself and adding yet more lovely patterns that I admired to my rapidly expanding sock queue!

I appear (hopefully) to have resolved yesterday’s tension issue by knitting the last of the heel on 2.75mm needles (two sizes larger!) but have reverted back to 2.25mm needles for the shaping of the heel and the beginning of the foot.  Fingers crossed that it will work out!  So far, so good.

Today I thought I’d show you a couple of projects that I completed over the holidays. I gave away my original Bo cowl when I first designed it, but decided that it would be nice to have one of my own.  Plus, I wanted to see how it would come out in the mohair/merino yarn that acts as a replacement suggestion to the discontinued Anna Gratton silk blend that the original was knitted in.

This is the fingering weight Anna Gratton Little Wool Co. merino/mohair in the Forest colourway.  I’m finally happy with the photos of the colour!

Bo merino mohair cowl

It’s a very long cowl – in the below photo, I’ve actually wrapped it around my neck three times to make a very cosy neck warmer.

DSC00186 (800x756)Doubled, it looks more like this:

Doubled Bo

The good thing about this pattern is that you can adapt it to suit yourself for length. It’s only a two-stitch design, and I’m thinking it would probably look quite fine with a third of the stitches cut out, casting on 299 stitches instead of 399.  It’s knitted in the round, which is why you have an odd number cast on, just in case you are wondering.  Or you could have a short cowl, and only cast on 169 – 189 stitches for a cowl that goes around the neck without doubling it over.

Also, during this process I discovered that my original linen stitch was far too tight for the merino/mohair (the mohair really bulks out the stitches!), so have updated the pattern (also available on my Free Patterns page) to include a knit row between each slipped stitch row.  It feels and knits a lot better this way. Here’s a close up of the different textured stitches.

Close upI feel all set for the winter winds now!

On to the next FO, this is my first pair of finished socks for 2014.  They’re my ‘swatch’ socks.

Paua socks

I’ve called them that because I wanted to design a pair of socks in this beautiful sparkly merino/nylon/stellina yarn from Doe Arnot, coloured like the pretty paua shell (abalone). Only, I discovered that the yarn was already quite busy in terms of colour, and whatever I did ended up looking lost.  If you have a look at the link I’ve given you, Doe has a pair of socks knitted in the colourway in the picture.  It’s interesting how the patterning can come out so differently depending on one’s tension I suppose.

Mine are based on the standard 64 stitch cast on, using 2.50mm needles.

However, after knitting two socks (each of them with a different pattern on them, and both ripped back a couple of times already), I was certainly not going to rip them back yet again, and so I have a pair of what I call, Swatch Socks.

Paua socksThe patterning that I put on them is fairly minimal, and given that these socks will spend most of their life in a pair of shoes, or worn at home, it won’t matter that they look “original”. 😉  I really love the colourway!

So, even though the concept that I was thinking of didn’t work for this particular yarn, if I were to knit these in a pattern (as opposed to plain vanilla or plain ribbed), I reckon any of thisthis, or this would look fabulous.

Advertisements

Author: kiwiyarns

Welcome to my blog where I talk about knitting in New Zealand and the beautiful yarns you can find here.

7 thoughts on “Bo and Paua

  1. Beautiful Cowl! I’m curious what sock forums you are on with regards to Ravrley. I always have difficulty finding the good forums. I’m on there as tgallop. Also – congrats on the first finished socks for 2014!

    tgallop@mts.net
    http://www.willcookforshoes.ca

  2. The fingering weight cowl is awesome! I wouldn’t have the patience right now for all those tiny stitches

  3. Abalone is such a lovely sounding name. The dyer really captured the inside of the shell. Your cowl looks great. I like how it’s warm for a cold day but still likght enough for a breezy evening.

  4. You have paired such perfect texture with the yarn in your Bo cowl. I wouldn’t have thought to add a knit round in the linen stitch, but I think that is a great way to loosen it up. I might have to apply that idea in the future.

  5. The colours in your cowl are gorgeous! I love cowls – must knit more of them.

  6. Such lovely Pacifica colours !