I went a bit more slowly finishing the second half of this vest. It actually didn’t take very long because there is less fabric in the front! If you count all the hours I spent knitting and finishing this vest, the result will equal about 24 hours. Maybe a bit less.
I’m a bit hot and bothered from mowing the lawns in this picture. Do not worry – I didn’t wear my brand new vest doing the mowing! Had to get that pic before the light went though!
I thought I’d show you how it looked before and after some blocking:
Here it is awaiting its bath. Notice how the bands twisted and would not lie flat? The fabric itself also felt quite stiff and a little oily for some reason.
Here it is in its bath with a small amount of wool wash added. See how the water has made the fibres much more relaxed and even.
Blocking has brought out the true qualities of the Stansborough Grey wool. The fabric has become beautifully lofty, with a gorgeous fluidity, lustre and drape.
This yarn dries extremely quickly. This wool seems to shake off moisture much more quickly than other fibres. I put it on a rack to dry outside, and it was dry in two hours! I think being non-washine washable has also helped to preserve the moisture-repellent properties of the wool.
It’s going to be a great work vest as soon as the weather decides to make wearing wool a good idea!
Yarn: Stansborough Mithril
Pattern: V-neck or rounded sleeveless tunic
Amount used: approx 325g (for size 40″) of DK weight yarn.
Last weekend, I also finished my Golden Hall socks. Here they are!
These socks were cast on with many more stitches that I would normally use, and I was convinced at one stage that they would be too big for me. Those cables sure do eat yarn and suck in the width though… I finished this project with only 6″ of yarn to spare from an entire 100g skein! That was close. I used 30% more yarn than I normally need for a pair of socks.
The only mods I made for this sock were to decrease across the instep on the first row of the toe shaping so that all the cable endings were K2tog. This also conveniently brought the stitch count back down to my the usual number I begin with: 64 stitches. By doing so, I knew that the toe would be the right length for my foot. I also decreased the sole down to 32 sts during the gusset shaping which helped with width issues (and yarn quantities!)
I didn’t find the intense amount of cabling on these socks particularly intuitive (some cable patterns hardly need looking at once you’ve done the first motif, but not this one). This made it slow to knit because I was glued to the chart. I know others were much more comfortable with the pattern.
The yarn is more of my very favourite super twisted 100% merino sock yarn. This colourway was dyed by the talented James of Fibre Alive, another sadly no longer indie dye business. I cry a little every time I use one of his yarns because they are so lovely and I won’t be able to get any more!!
However, very pleased to now have another pair of yummy socks to add to my drawer!