As I was typing this header, it occurred to me that both my recent Finished Objects are about the weather. Isn’t that funny!
A bit about both:
I used The Wool Company’s Utiku Merino Possum in the Mink colourway.
As noted in my last post about this pattern, I certainly did not need 1,400 yards noted in the pattern. Knitted in the smaller size, I used 362 gm, which is the equivalent of 795 metres, or 869 yards. (That’s 3.6 balls of the merino possum yarn in case you are wondering.)
The pattern itself could have included a schematic. I find them very useful so I can adjust sizing easily if necessary. I also like charts, and find written instructions difficult for pattern repeats, so I charted out my own, and that made it much easier to work out the stitch pattern quickly.
I did not do a tubular cast on or cast off. Instead, I used a long tail cast on, and cast off using my own half-stretchy bind-off method.
Alicia used a stockinette style decrease, which contrasts against the purl background of the body. I chose not to do that, and reversed the shaping instructions (P2tog and P2togtbl) so that the shaping was invisible.
I did not put on a button, but just sewed a join into the two sides.
The rest of the pattern was knit as instructed.
I love possum yarn. See the soft, fluid drape of the fabric, and the warm, snuggly halo that develops after blocking. Besides pure wool, it is my next favourite medium to work in. It does not pill, it is surprisingly hard wearing, and it stays looking beautiful for years and years. (Note that recycled possum yarns can be less hard-wearing.)
Waiting for Rain
This is such a sweet pattern. I used Anna Gratton’s silk/mohair/wool mix which she has unfortunately since discontinued. It gives a beautiful organic texture to knitting.
I wanted my Waiting for Rain to be organic looking, and I was pleased that the yarn I chose has definitely given the desired effect.
I did not change anything about the pattern.
The only thing I would say is that I am not 100% happy with my bind off and the edging. It is a tiny bit tight for my liking, not enough to be a real issue, but just enough to make me think “hmm.” I did use the lace bind off recommended by Sylvia, but as I have noted before, my bind off is always very tight for some reason, so I may have to look into a further adaptation of this method to work for me.
There is a lot of knitting news to talk about this week, so I think I will break this week’s postings into two. Watch out for another one from me tomorrow about future projects!
I’m going to be examining three swatches. And trying to decide which one to use for this.
Have a happy and great weekend!